Expand Your Expertise
Education is the key to enduring success in commercial real estate. With courses offered through The CCIM Institute, and taught by the industry’s thought leaders, you can be assured you are learning the most up-to-date and insightful topics in commercial real estate. Enhance your expertise with new courses offered through The Robert L. Ward Center for Commercial Real Estate Studies to grow your business in new areas or learn a new skill set to advance your career.
Basics of Commercial Real Estate Accounting
Combine the personal attention of an instructor with the flexibility of online learning. Courses have virtual sessions and defined start and end dates. All materials are provided online. Review the schedule for specific session times. Learn the skills necessary to successfully navigate basic commercial real estate accounting principles. Explore general accounting practices, financial reporting, building financial reports for projections, and valuation strategies.
TOPICS ADDRESSED IN THE COURSE WILL INCLUDE:
- Generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Common accounting terminology
- Debit and credit accounting
- Financial reporting
- Financial projection calculations
- Valuation strategies
Robin L. Webb, CCIM, CPM, MRICS, is Principal of Commercial America Properties in Orlando, FL. Webb has over 30 years of commercial real estate experience and a career of personal sales volume totaling over $1 billion. He has previously taught real estate at the University of Central Florida and the Lorman Institute and also provided training for real estate franchises like Realty World and Century 21 Commercial.
Lease Versus Own Comparison and Analysis
Examine the various tax considerations of leasing versus owning, cost recovery improvement allocation concepts, and tax due on sale.
COURSE ATTENDEES WILL ACHIEVE THE FOLLOWING NOTABLE OUTCOMES:
- The benefits and challenges of leasing or owning a property
- Calculating annual depreciation for a commercial property utilizing the appropriate depreciation schedule
- The impact of cash flows on net present value (NPV) and internal rate of return (IRR) calculations on both leased and owned properties
- Calculations of after-tax costs on leased versus owned properties
- Using the NPV calculations on after-tax cash flows to determine if leasing or owning a property is preferable for the client
Clifford Bogart, CCIM, is President and Founder at The Vanguard Commercial Group in Dallas. During his 35 years in commercial real estate, Bogart has negotiated transactions with clients such as Xerox Corporation, the State of Texas, UAW, Hartford Insurance, Guggenheim Partners, and Media General.