Changing Conditions 

The U.S. economy, while remaining relatively strong, is facing greater challenges than it has seen in more than two decades. Volatile energy prices, a slowing housing market, consumer spending shifts, geopolitical risks, natural disaster recovery costs, inflation, and increasing interest

CCIM & AAREA Build Relationships 

Thirty eight representatives of the CCIM Institute and the Asian American Real Estate Association recently traveled to China to meet with their local counterparts and exchange real estate ideas and practices. During the 12 day trade mission participants visited Beijing,

Changing the Code 

On April 20, 2005, President Bush signed into law the Bankruptcy Abuse, Prevention, and Consumer Protection Act of 2005. While the act primarily reforms the bankruptcy laws affecting consumer cases, it also contains a number of amendments applicable to business

Changes Ahead 

Each year brings new challenges in commercial real estate, but along with them come new opportunities. It is precisely these opportunities that will add value to your CCIM Institute membership this year and well into the future. I'm honored to

The Rate Debate 

Every month in Wichita, Kan., a small group of accomplished real estate developers and investors known as the "Dirty Dozen" meets over breakfast to share what they've observed in markets across the country and to discuss their differing investment philosophies.

Legislative Update 

Last year several key legislative initiatives affecting commercial real estate were signed into law, including bankruptcy reform, energy measures, tort reform, and do not fax provisions. The following issues remain open for resolution in the 109th congressional session. Banks in

Let's Make a Deal 

A longtime client has asked for your help in selling one of its out of state properties. You're not licensed in that state and haven't worked with any brokers in that market. Potential buyers are ready to deal and your

CCIM Spotlight: Rebuilding a City 

Condominium conversions were hot last year, and like many commercial real estate investors, Quentin D. Dastugue, CCIM, chief executive officer of Property One in New Orleans, and his partners transformed one of their apartment complexes into for sale units. Sales

Northeastern Exposure 

During the second half of 2005, several of the Northeast's metropolitan markets coasted on strong fundamentals. Office absorption in Boston is up and vacancy rates are decreasing. In Long Island, N.Y., the office market looks optimistic Despite a slight vacancy

Multifamily Trends in 2006 

The multifamily sector has experienced steady growth and returns during the past few years, fueled by the hot commercial real estate market and low interest rates. But many in the industry wonder How long can the good times last? Peter

India Calls 

U.S. commercial real estate companies have had India on the line for several years. CB Richard Ellis, Cushman & Wakefield, Jones Lang LaSalle, and Colliers International partnered with local commercial real estate professionals to set up Indian offices in the

Deal Makers(13) 

Office J. Scott Adams, CCIM, of CB Richard Ellis in Norfolk, Va., represented Armada Hoffler in the $28 million sale of a 220,501 sf office flex property in Chesapeake, Va., to First Potomac Realty Trust. Barry Oaks, CCIM, of Cushman

India’s Major Markets 

India’s robust commercial and residential real estate market, valued at about $50 billion at the end of 2005, is predicted to grow about 25 percent annually, according to Businessweek magazine. Nearly 23 million square feet of new office and

February 2006 Online Deal Makers 

Office Tom R. Kelley, CCIM, and Christi Davis, CCIM, of NAI Realvest in Maitland, Fla., represented Orlando Central Park Tarragon LLC of New York in the $2.9 million sale of the 28,000 sf SunTrust Building in Orlando, Fla., to the

Buyers Guide(34) 

All Weather Pictures Users can take photographs in any weather conditions with the Olympus Stylus 600 digital camera. The device features protective seals, a durable design, and a 2.5 inch liquid crystal display screen. The Stylus also allows users to

Cover Your Assets 

Lenders holding commercial real estate secured loans want to ensure that, if a borrower goes bankrupt, the collateral property will not be consolidated with the borrower's other assets. To ease such fears, borrowers use "bankruptcy remote" single purpose entities, or

January 2006 Online Deal Makers 

Industrial James V. Garinger, CCIM, of VIP Commercial TCN Worldwide in Fort Myers, Fla., and a partner represented Newco Investments in the more than $2.5 million purchase of a 30,000 sf industrial building in Fort Myers from Crystal Prime. Terry

Market Trends(17) 

More Women Join Industry More women are joining the commercial real estate profession, but men still earn more at comparable age and experience levels, according to a 2005 Commercial Real Estate Women Network survey. Women comprise 36 percent of commercial

Market Trends Online(8) 

What’s Hot Hospitality Which segments Midscale without food and beverage hospitality projects increased 36% year over year in 2005, while upscale select or limited service

2006: Three Possible Scenarios 

Decelerating Growth (15% probability) Baseline (75% probability) Accelerarting Growth (10% probability) Description

On the Waterfront 

For most of history, people have been living, working, and playing alongside rivers and lakes. Among the first areas to be settled, early American waterfront developments were mostly industrial factories and warehouses, situated on shores for convenient access to transportation

Tech on Deck 

New technologies offer enormous opportunities to increase productivity and improve client service. Yet, like most emerging systems, success hinges on how the advancement is applied within an industry. The following five technologies have the potential to change the way commercial

Splitting Heirs 

Strong market fundamentals and low interest rates have opened the world of commercial real estate to a whole new pool of investors. Seeking alternatives to the stock market, many investors have ventured into passive forms of real estate investment such