During the same period the CPE program was evolving in California and Washington, two other groups of real estate exchange professionals were growing, both subgroups of the National Institute of Real Estate Brokers.
The first subgroup, the International Traders Club, was first formed in 1953, with Stewart B. Matthews as its first chairman. Like NIREB overall, the ITC subgroup's membership was largely residential brokers specializing in home trade-ins and guaranteed sales plans. But there was an increasing number of
ITC members who were specializing in nonresidential exchanges. However, the ITC did not offer educational seminars; its focus was on active networking among its members.
During the late 1950s, the ITC grew to more than 6,000 members, and they had begun developing courses on trading houses, guaranteed sales plans, and exchanging commercial properties.
Many of the ITC members also belonged to either the California or Washington state associations' exchange divisions. Several were involved in the CPE program. The California Real Estate Association and NIREB negotiated for the acquisition by NIREB of the CPE program, whereby the CPE would truly become a national program, implemented, and administered by NIREB.
The ITC had strong reservations concerning acquisition by NIREB of the CPE designation. The California Association of Realtors had reservations of its own - concerning how the quality would be maintained for the program they had labored over. The ITC membership generally also felt that their priorities conflicted with the residential - and sales-orientation of its parent organization, NIREB, and sought independent status.
The negotiations between CAR and NIREB were successfully concluded in 1966. All CPEs in California, Washington, and other states at a total of 315, were grandfathered into the national CPE program. In February 1967, Victor Lyon and Jay Levine taught the first national presentation of IPET in Chicago.
In 1966, after nearly two years of study and negotiation, the ITC agreed to remain a part of NIREB under the name of the ITC/Exchange Division, with Calvin Harris as its first chairman.
Jay Levine, who in 1967 chaired the ITC/Exchange Division, and L. Allen Morris, the Institute's president, were strong leaders and instrumental mediating influences during the negotiations. Both fostered an attitude of seeking common ground, and Allen Morris acknowledged the value of the commercial practitioners by giving them a voice on the NIREB Board of Governors.
The second subgroup was the Commercial Property Committee, which grew out of the Percentage Lease Committee formed by NIREB in 1947. The Percentage Lease Committee was renamed in 1953 to better reflect the common interests of more commercial brokers. Its activities included an annual five-day property clinic and an annual publication entitled Percentage Leases.On Jan. 1, 1967, the Commercial Property Committee officially became the Commercial Investment Division reflecting its membership's interests in commercial property exclusively, which was the birth of what was to be named CCIM Institute. The ITC/Exchange Division maintained its partial emphasis on residential property). The CID anticipated developing a designation program of its own, on commercial property brokerage and leasing.
As early as 1966, however, discussions were being held between the Commercial Property Division and the ITC/Exchange Division regarding the benefits of establishing a common designation. In 1967, the two divisions merged into Commercial Investment Division. Another course was added to the curriculum, which used the name Commercial Investment Divisions to replace IPET in the course titles.
In January 1967, the CPE designation was renamed CIM (Certified Investment Member. All current CPEs, 209 at the time, were awarded Charter Member CIM status. Holders of the CPE who objected to the new designation name were allowed to continue using the CPE.
In May 1969, to resolve continuing confusion regarding affiliations and specializations, Certified Investment Member was expanded to Certified Commercial-Investment Member, CCIM, the name and acronym that continue to represent the educational and professional accomplishments of the CCIM designees.
Chapter 3: The Beginning
Chapter 5: Building and Changing